As we wrap up the 2020 calendar year, we are looking into how the ORCID US Community has been affected by the global coronavirus pandemic this year, and reflecting on the progress we’ve made since the ORCID US Community consortium was launched three years ago in 2018. This is our fifth newsletter, featuring updates from across the community over the past 6 months. Past newsletters can be found in the ORCID US Community Blog. To contribute to future newsletters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay well!
- Member institutions = 146 (As of Jan. 1, 2021 we are expecting to have slightly less members, as some organizations have had to cancel their ORCID membership due to pandemic-related budget cuts.)
- ORCID API system integrations = 150 integrations across 95 member institutions, through which:
- 101,058 ORCID iDs have been connected with member organizations
- 29,222 ORCID records have been updated with:
- 24,271 affiliations
- 241,986 works
- 322 funding entries
- 4,062 person identifiers
- 3,228 websites
- ORCID US Community discussion forum = 362 participants from 141 member institutions
- @USconsortium on Twitter = 332 followers
2020 Year-End Member Survey
To help assess our progress this year and plan for ORCID US Community resources and activities for 2021, please complete this brief survey (~5-10 min.) to give your input by December 31, 2020. Survey results and subsequent 2021 activities will be shared after the new year.
Webinar: ORCID US Community Membership Benefits for Non-profit Organizations (Feb. 3, 2021)
Join us for an ORCID US Community overview webinar on Feb. 3 that will cover the basics and benefits of ORCID US Community membership (see details). This will be especially helpful for any staff at your organization that are new to working with ORCID or need a refresher. All are welcome regardless of ORCID membership status.
- When: Wed. Feb. 3, 2021 @ 1pm Eastern/ 12pm Central/ 11am Mountain/ 10am Pacific (1 hour)
- Register to attend the webinar and/or receive the recording
ORCID US Community Awards
The ORCID US Community Awards encourage and provide recognition for participation, sharing, and achievements in the ORCID US Community. If someone in the community has been especially helpful to you, please consider nominating them for an award. Winners will be announced in May 2021; see award categories and details, and stay tuned for more announcements as we approach “award season” in May. Last year’s winners can be found in our June 2020 newsletter.
New Community Resources
- Video Tutorial: ORCID & SciENcv for NIH and NSF Biosketches
- Value of ORCID for Funders one-pager
- Community Calls:
- ORCID US Community Blog:
ORCID & SciENcv
For anyone involved in supporting researchers with grant applications for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and/or the National Science Foundation (NSF), the SciENcv biosketch tool has received alot of attention this year due to its integration with ORCID. Researchers who have information populated in their ORCID record can import data directly from their ORCID record into SciENcv to save time and reduce administrative burden, rather than manually re-typing their information into SciENcv. Learn more about ORCID and SciENcv:
- Blog: SciENcv and ORCID
- Video Tutorial: ORCID & SciENcv for NIH & NSF Biosketches
- Video Presentation from ORCID & NIH (Nov. 24): SciENcv Biosketch & ORCID
ORCID is working on a few new tools that will soon be available to ORCID US Community member organizations:
- Affiliation Manager – ORCID is working on a new tool that will allow ORCID member organizations to write relevant information to researchers’ ORCID records via CSV uploads, starting with affiliation data (employment, education, membership, service, invited positions, and distinctions). The tool is designed to help organizations add data to ORCID records right away, as planning for and implementing custom ORCID API integrations in local systems can sometimes take a long time. ORCID gave an overview of this tool (14:15-19:10) at their product interest group call in September.
- Improved Member Reports – ORCID is also working on a new and improved dashboard for member reporting that will provide real-time stats about local API integrations, usage, and local adoption of ORCID. More info about the new reporting dashboard (19:25-26:27).
Both of these new resources should be made available to us within the next several months, so please stay tuned for more info! The full recording of ORCID’s product interest group call is available at https://vimeo.com/458586667
Even though we are losing a few members in 2021, the ORCID US Community is still the largest ORCID consortium in the world. Learn more about other ORCID consortia across the globe.
- See full list of ORCID US Community member institutions
New Members since June 2020:
- Columbia University
- Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
- Denver Health and Hospital Authority
- Melanoma Research Alliance
- University of Cincinnati Office of Research
- Partnering with internal stakeholders: Bryant, Rebecca, Annette Dortmund, and Brian Lavoie. 2020. Social Interoperability in Research Support: Cross-Campus Partnerships and the University Research Enterprise. Dublin, OH: OCLC Research. https://doi.org/10.25333/wyrd-n586
- Persistent Identifiers in research support: Chodacki, John, Cynthia Hudson-Vitale, Natalie Meyers, Jennifer Muilenburg, Maria Praetzellis, Kacy Redd, Judy Ruttenberg, Katie Steen, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, and Maria Gould. Implementing Effective Data Practices: Stakeholder Recommendations for Collaborative Research Support. Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, September 2020. https://doi.org/10.29242/report.effectivedatapractices2020
- Using ORCID data to answer research questions: Yan, E., Zhu, Y. & He, J. (2020). Analyzing academic mobility of US professors based on ORCID data and the Carnegie Classification. Quantitative Science Studies. Advance publication. https://doi.org/10.1162/qss_a_00088
Have you been involved in ORCID presentations or outreach activities lately? Let us know so we can include you in the next newsletter: email@example.com