The DSpace Leadership Group, the DSpace Committers and LYRASIS are proud to announce that DSpace 7.0 Beta 2 is now available for download and testing.
Beta 2 is the second scheduled Beta release provided for community feedback and to introduce the new features of the 7.0 platform. As a Beta release, we highly advise against running this version in production. Rather, we ask that you consider installing it in a test environment, try it out, and report back any issues or bugs you notice through the JIRA issue tracker.
DSpace 7.0 Beta 2 is deployed for public testing on a dedicated demo site and it can be installed manually or via a Docker “quick install”. Instructions are available at: Try out DSpace 7.
Included in Beta 2
- Administrative Search (video) combines retrieval of withdrawn items and private items, together with a series of quick action buttons.
- EPeople, Groups and Roles can now be viewed, created and updated.
- Bitstream Editing (video) has a drag-and-drop interface for re-ordering bitstreams and makes adding and editing bitstreams more intuitive.
- Metadata Editing (video) introduces suggest-as-you-type for field name selection of new metadata. Shibboleth Authentication
- Viewing Item Version History
- Collection and Community (video) creation and edit pages.
- English, Latvian, Dutch, German, French, Portuguese and Spanish language catalogs
- Security and authorization improvements, including REST API support hiding specific metadata fields (metadata.hide property) and upgrades of different software packages on which DSpace 7 depends.
Source: DSpace 7 Release Notes
In the remainder of April, the contributors are focusing on a planning sprint to review the remaining release goals and (as necessary) adjust the 7.0 final release schedule.
- Beta 3: Beta release focusing on Account Profiles, Submission/Workflow enhancements, additional Administrative tools
- Beta 4: Beta release focusing on SEO enhancements, Theming enhancements, Batch processing tools, Solr-based Statistics views, improved GDPR alignment
- Beta 5: Optional Beta release to cleanup any bugs or issues found in previous Betas, or complete any incomplete features.7.0 Final Release: The final, production-ready release of
- 7.0 will be released as soon as all the above Betas have been completed and any outstanding major bugs have been resolved. Roughly estimated at 1-2 months after the last Beta.
More information and the latest changes can be found on DSpace 7 Release Goals.
A number of recorded presentations and workshops are available through following links:
- Open Repository 2019 Hamburg Presentations & Workshops
- Getting Started with DSpace 7 Workshop – North American User Group Meeting
Initial preparations and edits are being made to the official documentation for DSpace 7.
Thanks to major code contributors!
The following organizations have been major code contributors to DSpace 7.
- FCT / RCAAP
We gratefully recognize the following institutions, who together have generously contributed financially to support the DSpace 7 staged release program:
- Cornell University
- Duke University
- Imperial College London
- Indiana University–Purdue University, Indianapolis
- National Library of Finland
- The Ohio State University
- Texas Digital Library
- University of Arizona
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Kansas
- University of Minnesota
- University of Toronto