Ten Years of Open
For more than ten years, Lyrasis has been advancing Open scholarship initiatives and programs to empower diverse institutions to engage across the evolving scholarly communication landscape. Lyrasis supports Open Access (OA) publishing programs as well as open research infrastructure programs, all aligned with the core principles of the Lyrasis Content and Scholarly Communication Initiatives team. We are delighted to share this interactive timeline showing Lyrasis's support for Open over the years.
Became the US national facilitator for the SCOAP3, a global non-APC open access program funding journal article and book publishing in high energy physics.
- 200+ US libraries enabled OA publication of 50,000 articles across 11 leading journals.
Became the North America facilitator for Open Library of Humanities (OLH), a diamond open access (OA), nonprofit, scholar-led publisher and platform for the humanities.
- 28 diamond OA journals published with the support of 80 libraries in the US and Canada.
Partnered with Annual Reviews to launch a Subscribe to Open program, which publishes its frontlist journal issues fully OA if member support is sufficient to cover publishing costs.
- Entire collection has flipped to open with the support of 22 Lyrasis members and many other libraries worldwide.
Partnered with JISC to form the Institutional Repository Usage Statistics (IRUS-US) community, enabling participating organizations to gather open, COUNTER-compliant usage statistics for materials in repositories.
- Over 6 million item requests are reported annually.
Partnered with Duke University Press to convert the journal Demography, by the Population Association of America, to a fully open access Subscribe to Open title.
- Fully open access with the support of 70 participating members.
Established the Lyrasis Open Access Community Investment Program (OACIP) to evaluate and collectively fund independent, nonprofit, scholar-led diamond OA journals.
- 6 OA journals fully funded for five years.
Established the DataCite US Consortium, a national community of practice for non-profit organizations assigning DOIs (Digital Object Identifiers) to their data and research outputs.
- Supported by 24 organizations, creating 5,879 DOIs for their repositories.
Began offering the University of Michigan Press Fund to Mission Open Access Monographs. Around 75% of frontlist monographs are published OA with sufficient support.
- Supported by over 40 libraries worldwide.
Debuted the Liverpool University Press Opening the Future sustainable OA publishing model where subscriptions giving participating organizations access to select ebook backlist titles fund OA ebook publishing.
Partnered with Lever Press for a collective membership model supporting OA publication of peer-reviewed, born digital, open access monographs at no cost to their authors.
- Supported by over 40 participating institutions.
Launch of six major open access read-and-publish (transformative) agreements, with up to 1550 articles published annually from 200+ Lyrasis institutional members.
- 2023 – Partnered with Institute of Physics (IOP) to launch a read-and-publish agreement offering unlimited OA publishing with full access to the IOP complete journal package.
- 2023 – Partnered with The Royal Society to launch a read-and-publish agreement offering unlimited OA publishing with full access to the Royal Society’s complete journal package.
- 2023 – Partnered with Cambridge University Press to launch a read-and-publish agreement offering unlimited OA publishing with full access to Cambridge’s complete journal package.
- 2023 – Launched ACM Open, a read-and-publish agreement offering unlimited OA publishing with full access to the Association for Computing Machinery’s Digital Library.
- 2024 – Launched a Springer read-and-publish agreement with all publication fees covered for OA publishing in Springer hybrid journals by corresponding authors at participating institutions.
- 2024 – Partnered with the Royal Society of Chemistry to launch a read-and-publish agreement offering unlimited OA publishing and full access to the RSC Gold journal package.
WHO WE ARE
Lyrasis is a leader in open technologies, hosting, data-migration, content licensing, and community supported software programs for libraries, archives, museums and research organizations worldwide.
WHAT WE DO
We work with knowledge professionals to create, support and deliver innovative programs, services and technologies that allow for equitable access to the world's knowledge and cultural heritage.